Wednesday, November 6, 2013

IWSG November 2013

IWSG, brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh, occurs once a month and exists for writers to voice their insecurities and offer advice. The official website, www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com has been a priceless commodity in my studying and research as of late. I encourage any one interested in writing to have a look!

I've chosen to self publish. This isn't the blog where I go into a ton of detail as to why. This is also not the blog where I talk about the electronic version of the book. For the sake of IWSG, there's one subject that has been plaguing me above all in my mad race to get the Kickstarter going for my book.

And that is - Who's doing the printing, Lightning Source or CreateSpace?

Why CreateSpace?

Amazon owns them. And there's no better way of having VIP service on Amazon (where lots of books are sold, last I checked) than by befriending their lil cousin CreateSpace. The setup fee is minimal, proof copy is like five bucks, and there's no exclusivity to their contract. Besides, Lightning Source is going to push me off onto their gimpy brother IngramSpark, who specializes in small publishers, moderates trade discount to 55%, and has NO visible contact information anywhere on their website!

So, easy choice, right? Then why even consider Lightning Source.

(And don't everyone attack me at once for regurgitating the consensus of the world wide web)

Quality. I can't tell you how many websites I've traveled looking for an answer. Dozens. Maybe hundreds. And the vast majority sing praises of Lightning Source's superior print quality over every other service. I wouldn't know personally, I've never seen examples of their work. I can only consider the source.
But even if everyone is wrong about their quality, I want a hardcover of my book to exist. CreateSpace won't do it. And this is something about which I will not compromise.

So, injure my print-book Amazon exposure, climb in bed with a clumsy toddler company, and sacrifice personal profit just to own the perfect copy of my book?

To answer that I need to determine my objective...


- I want to bring Silexare to life, one story at a time, consistently achieving the very highest quality so that readers might find unqualified delight, despite any costs or compromises to my financial gain.


21 comments:

  1. Knowing what you want is the best means of getting it. Sounds like a solid plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's hoping

      Thanks for stopping by, Robin

      Delete
  2. Whatever gets you the quality you want. I've heard a couple others say sometimes Createspace doesn't make very good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard mixed things, for sure. And I hope no one gets discouraged by me posting what I've read online.

      I honestly want an 11"x8", fully leather bound hardcover that creaks when you open it, adds smells to each page relative to the given scene, and plays a score while it's being read!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you must be putting incredible amounts of work into this--that would be my biggest fear in self-publishing: so many choices, at every step along the way!
    Good luck with everything as you move forward to bring your stories to the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! I'm putting more effort into this than I am into breathing... Almost. :)

      There are a butt-ton of choices. And for every one I knock down, two spring up. All I can do is put one foot in front of the other.

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed CS quite a bit. In fact you don't even have to order the proof if you don't want. Now I can't speak for LS. My personal opinion? Go with both. I mean unless LS has a clause that needs exclusivity, you can just use both places and double how your book gets out. Good Luck and my Beta reader offer still stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally just got a response back from Lightning Source saying IngramSpark has no exclusivity and no contract if I don't want it... So go with both sounds like quite the plan!
      I'll be contacting you about that Beta read, for sure. That's a very generous offer and I'd appreciate it

      Delete
  5. I completely get the hardcover book part of your decision process. If that's what you want, then go for it! And I'll be reading your posts on self-publishing with great interest since that's probably the route I'm going to take, as well.

    I can't wait to read about what happens next ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can secure my ass to chair for long enough to actually elaborate on why I've chosen to self pub. It was the most liberating decision I think I've made since wanting to write at all.

      Delete
  6. I'm not reading back through all the other comments, so I don't know if this was said, but why not do both? Do your paperback through CS with the automatic Kindle conversion and do a limited edition hardcover run through the other. If you're going to run a kickstarter, a limited edition hardcover would make a good incentive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't the first to say but that equals validation as far as I'm concerned!
      While composing this post, I was still unsure of exclusivity of said companies... Largely because of the lack of contact info for IngramSpark. Since then, the reply from Ingram stated directly - "Also, note that Spark is non-exclusive and non-obligatory, so if you try it out and it doesn’t suit you, you may cancel any time."
      Thank you for the input and the advice, Andrew! I'm leaning toward printing both, for sure. (and I agree, hardcover would be incentive indeed, especially if each is numbered and signed.)

      Delete
  7. This looks like some great research that you've done:) Let me know how it goes for you, because I may end up going down the same path, thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly done some research.. And sometimes wondered what I actually learned with it. But hopefully, others can learn through my efforts!
      Thanks for stopping by, Mark.

      Delete
  8. Good-luck. I think you already know what you want, so go for it! I get it by the way, I would want a hardcover of my own book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably say the same thing about every milestone on the way... But I'm pretty sure that owning a hardcover of my own book is my dream.

      Delete
  9. I did read through the comments before posting, so I won't add another, "Why not do both?"

    I'll just say that I wish you tremendously great things with every aspect of getting your words into the hands of eager readers!

    Oh, and I'm still working my way through your SoundCloud tunes -- haven't had as much time to listen as I would like (it's also blocked from work). So don't think I've just hit a few and then lost interest. I want to give each one a couple of full listens before commenting, but I will say that I really like everything I've heard so far! I love the mixes, the sound quality, and your great sense of melody. I've been very impressed with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks, Chris! That's like a ray of sunshine cutting through grey clouds! I would absolutely not blame you if you dodge some of those tunes (like the plague)!
      I wish I'd discovered writing words as early in my life as I discovered writing music.

      Delete
  10. Hey, David. I'm glad to find out you've decided to self publish. I've been self published since December 2011, but it's been strictly ebooks thus far. I've been meaning to do a paperback omnibus of my epic fantasy series through CreateSpace, and your post has got me thinking in that direction once again.

    Best of luck with your writing and publication goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, long time no see!
      I'm glad to offer a bit of motivation. I'll keep you informed here of my progress... Maybe if I do something dumb, you can learn from my mistake!

      Delete