Wednesday, September 4, 2013

IWSG September 4th


IWSG, brainchild of mister Alex J. Cavanaugh (click his name for deets), occurs once a month and exists for writers like me to voice their fears and concerns...
I've taken the opportunity to whine instead.

My book is boring. I've read it a million times. And it's too simple. There are less than 20 relevant characters and they're all stupid. Thank God, I'm almost done messing with this book forever.

But my next book needs tons of characters. I have to invent an entire religion and a magic system and a government. I have to culminate a logically founded hatred between two nations that eventually breaks into outright war. I have to invent at least three unique races of creatures (not including random questing beasts) that could function in the world...or at least in Silexare. I have to write three romantic relationships - two of which being love triangles.

I've jumped off the deep end with this book. I'm bound to fail. It's going to be a huge train wreck. It'll never sell and I'll be stuck working here forever.

But at least I came up with a post for IWSG  :)

15 comments:

  1. Boring as in you've read it so many times you can't stand it anymore?
    Jump off that deep end. What's the worst that could happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boring as in every word in the entire book is garbage!!! Raarrghhhh....

      In truth, I need distance from the book. I actually love it. But after 8 drafts and a rewrite, I'm bleh.

      Delete
  2. If you jump you may fail, if you don't you can never succeed. It sounds like you are in the Beta/CP phase of that first book, you need folks to tell you, what is wrong, what is right, what can be fixed, what needs to never be touched.

    Good luck on the new work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost time for some fresh CP eyes... But it would involve me having to work on the book even more! and I'm soooooo tired of writing in this book!
      (but so afraid of the next!)
      This feeling will pass. I'm nearing the light at the end.

      Delete
    2. The light is there my friend, also I tagged you in my blog.

      Delete
  3. *still laughing* Not about the subject matter but that you found a post for the day.

    We all have Love/Hate/Awed/Despise relationship with our writing. At this moment (Wednesday, sept 4, 3:06pm cst and 35 seconds...38....40), I think I'm brilliant. But who knows what I'll think in 4 minutes and 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look for the positive!
      Soon the book will make me laugh and I'll love it again.
      Otherwise I'll set it on fire and laugh nonetheless.

      Delete
  4. If you aren't happy with your current WIP, Joss Whedon would tell you to cut out what you love most about it and then see where that takes you. Yeah, I read an interview with him and that was something that he does when a story isn't coming together. Takes out what he loves best and then sees what happens. If your book is boring, and you don't love it, why not give that a whirl????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe we could all learn from Joss. He's quite the workaholic.
      That's good advice. I think, however, my relationship is equal love/hate.

      Delete
  5. I hate when I start a new project and go into it feeling totally overwhelmed and hate everything I try. But there's nothing you can do but that...try. Maybe it'll be a disaster. Maybe the second draft will be just as bad. But if you keep at it, who knows. Maybe the third will be better. Something actually worth smiling about.

    Keep at it. Even when it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The worse it starts off, the easier it is to improve :)

      Delete
  6. More characters won't necessarily make a story more exciting. In fact, it can make things confusing, unless you plan on writing a 300,000 word door stop, ahem, I mean high fantasy epic novel.

    7 Point Story Structure. I promise you, it's the key to writing an engaging, fun, and exciting story. Look for the 5 part video on YouTube. If you learn it and use it, I swear, your writing will not only be more thrilling, but it will need way less heavy revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the mother of all coincidences, I plotted the entire book using the 7 point story structure! I'm expanding on this point on a blog post of yours so I know you see it!

      Delete