Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3rd - C



Game: 
1988 Konami


Contra (1988 Konami) - A "run and gun" action side-scroller that helped define action side scrolling for all time!  Dozens of games tried to be this game and all fell short.  I could only get away with playing a game where a man with a machine gun kills hundreds and hundreds of other men because the enemies are all alien! 
If you're a retro gamer, you not only have played this game... you know the Contra code. (uuddlrlrba)

Special Mentions: Castlevania - In my top 5 franchises of all time
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross - Contain some of the best soundtracks in any games, thanks to Yasunori Mistuda

Special Poop: Call of Dookie and all its offsquirts - The games in this franchise are as indistinguishable as the Madden games but far more apt to make cursing, rabid, couch zombies of would-be discerning gamers.

Music:

The Cranberries - This was tough to choose because I'm not at home with my music library right in front of me. Of all rock bands most pertinent to me currently, I need to go with Cranberries... and not because I'm particularly fond of them, but because on rare occasions (possibly even this Saturday night), my band covers this song.

Special Mentions: Chris Cornell - One of the best rock voices ever.


11 comments:

  1. Love the Cranberries. One of my favorite bands from childhood!

    Happy A through Z blogging!
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Contra in years! And the Cranberries were one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contra was so damn difficult! Even now I can't get all that far on it :(

    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom
    www.mithrilwisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. S.L., I do love Zombie. Totally fun to rock out.

    Christine and Jaime, I actually still play Contra occasionally! (But I can't beat it without cheating!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly the song ("Zombie," for the record) that I had in mind when you mentioned them. All the games you mentioned, I know those, too! And that cleric, I just hope he isn't filling those bulbs with rum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh you have me now!
    I'm Irish - love The Cranberries :)

    Annmarie
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony, I'm beginning to think you'd be handy to have around in times of writer's block!

    Annmarie, The Cranberries are amongst my faves for that time period for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an idea generator. When I'm stuck, I wait for the least expected way for the scene to continue.

      Delete
  8. We played the crap out of Contra growing up. It was hard until you got the code, then we never put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and kids nowadays think modern games are hard. They don't even know!

      Delete