Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 29 - Y




Game

Yoshi's Island (Nintendo 1995) - (Super Mario World 2)  As usual, Nintendo takes the established formula and makes something brand new, this time in the form of egg tossing and baby sitting (The irony of that just hit me).
This is one of my favorite games in the Mario series.  With great music, varied levels and tons of new challenges, it's truly addictive.

Special Mentions: Young Merlin (SNES)

Music

Yngwie Malmsteen - This was a close one.  I almost said Yes (of whom I couldn't list a single song) or Neil Young (of whom I couldn't list a single song) but then Yngwie came to mind.
Yngwie is a Swedish guitarist who could be considered one of the best guitarists in the world... At least top 15.  He's especially known for his mad sweep picking skills.  I prefer hearing him shred or cover instrumentals over anything lyrical his band puts out.  Here's a vid of Yngwie shredding.  He's good.  But let's face it.  He's no Petrucci.




11 comments:

  1. Yntemraus sounds really cool, the question is what does he use all his power for?

    I love Yoshi's Island besides Toadstool(for Mario cart reasons) he was always my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should ask! That's actually part of the major twist in the story.

      Nearing completion of the first draft, I'm in the process of infusing more life into his character now.

      Delete
  2. Yoshi's Island was one of few landmark SNES era titles I didn't play until many years later. Thank God for emulators. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank God for emulators every day! :)

      Delete
  3. He is definitely no Petrucci! Good choice. There's also Yes and Y&T. (Remember those guys?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember Y&T... I do remember Yes, but nothing of theirs specifically.
      (bout to youtube up some Y&T!)

      Delete
  4. This is a very nice post! I enjoyed reading this very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never played Yoshi's Island... I'm obviously a fan of Yoshi though! (Who isn't, I ask you?)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, Allison!

      You'd do well to check this one out! It's good

      Delete