Monday, April 22, 2013

April 22 - S

So despite how many amazing topics the letter S brings to mind, I have to focus on only one topic, while giving mere mentions to Turesia and Video Games.  I'm so sorry - this is a long one!


Game
S, why are you such a popular letter?

Special Mentions: 
[Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, SUPER MARIO BROS] - Some of my all time favorite games and franchises
[Star Fox, Shining Force, Soul Reaver, Shadowrun, Sonic the Hedgehog] - More of my favorites but not quite as much
Street Fighter 2, Star Tropics, Suikoden Tierkreis, Shadow Man, Space Quest, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Spy Hunter, Super Bomberman, Syphon Filter

Music


Small Town Life - This was my first band.  I'd recently moved back to my small hometown and my friend Brian invited me to join his band.  Twas a Christian rock band and I joined as rhythm guitarist.  We played shows here and there, usually church functions, and I developed my guitaring skills and bought a new guitar.  Eventually our guitarist Dame was replaced by Chris.  Bassist Greg was replaced by Eric and drummer Eric was replaced by Bryan.  Brian remained on keys and lead vocals.  Sometime after that, Eric, Chris and Bryan faded away and Brian moved to Nashville.
It was shortly here after that I met Ryan, lead singer of Christian rock band, Eraphym (which was much heavier music than STL).  I joined Eraphym as guitarist.  Seth was on bass, Brian was occasionally lead guitar, and Austin was drummer.
Eraphym: Brian  Ryan  Seth  Austin  David

We played some shows, largely church related but some other venues as well.  At some point Seth and Austin went their own ways. Instead of disbanding, Ryan and I found Eric and Chris (originally Small Town Life) and Chris' brother Jamie and renamed Eraphym...
ShatterPath: David  Eric  Ryan  Chris (Jamie not pictured)

ShatterPath - A heavy rock band with Christian members.  In this band, we played all over Georgia, mostly in the Atlanta area, but as far south as Valdosta and as far north as Toccoa.  Eventually we raised funds and traveled to Illinois to camp out for a week in the corn fields of Bushnell and play in the one and only Cornerstone Festival (which was absolutely awesome, by the way).
ShatterPath reunion show 2008: Eric  David  Ryan  Kelan  Chris

Well, once again, the individuals in the band could no longer stand the front man all went their own ways and Ryan moved to Hawaii.
By the way, here's what Ryan's been up to. (He's solely responsible for all the songs found here)
During my time in ShatterPath, I'd met a fellow named Brandon who was the guitarist of another pretty established band.  He heard I played bass (something I'd picked up in various praise and worship teams) and since his band was in need of a bassist, he asked me to fill in in the band known as...
Setup before third show with David as bassist for SoS... still rocking an upside down Rickenbacker
Sound of Silence (No relation to Simon and Garfunkel) - A heavy rock / post alternative band.  Brandon was guitarist and backup vocals, Rusty was drummer and backup vocals, JT was lead vocals.  After a few shows, I joined as full time bassist (at which point I finally bought a left-handed bass and stopped playing a righty upside-down).
JT  Brandon  David  ?  Rusty

We played and toured the southeast, playing any and every venue that would have us.

During this time we saved money and recorded a full length album.  We also underwent a name change.  We were tired of the correlation to Simon and Garfunkel (largely because we are nothing like them). Google Sound of Silence and see what I mean.  Anyway, we dropped a new album under the name...

SoS: David  Brandon  JT  Rusty
Something Once Sacred - Same band for the most part.  We continued playing all over the southeast, meeting different national acts and opening for some as well. 
David  Theory of a Deadman  JT
Eventually, the band parted ways with JT, the frontman.  It wasn't pretty.  But that's that.

Rusty (No mowhawk)  Brandon (just married)  JT (No tattoos)  David (sweet tie)
Today, Brandon is guitarist and lead vocals.  Rusty is drummer and backup vocals.  I'm still the bassist.  I haven't sang since ShatterPath and don't mean to.  We're past the dream of making it to the sky and beyond and I'm focusing most of my creative energy on other endeavors.
But I wouldn't change a thing.
Interview at Aramada FM
Post show... Just don't ask.
Brandon  David  Drew  JT  Rusty  Brandon  Craig

Water: For when the crowd doesn't supply you something harder
Shirtless: Because the crowd was overly generous
JT (with tats)  David

Thanks for reading.

Special Mentions: ... I can't even begin to name all influential S bands.  But if you want to, feel free below!


27 comments:

  1. So many variations! Clearly you're persistent, though, even if you've reached the point where you no longer expect wide success. It's just odd that there's so much turmoil in a Christian band(s). Where's the love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I've learned nothing else, people are people regardless of their title or beliefs. There's going to be turmoil no matter what. I think that the qualities that make a great front man - cockiness, loudness, arrogance, craving to be center of attention - are the opposite of qualities that make for a great team member.

      Delete
    2. Agreed; there is as much drama in Christian rock as in the mainstream. Maybe worse, depending how you look at it, since religious ideals and expectations are thrown into the mix.

      Delete
  2. Hmm I'll just say one Soundgarden. That is awesome that you at least got to play and do something you love for so long. Hey I was wondering do you have any writing on Silexare that you have up for folks to read I love all the stuff on your website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soundgarden is a favorite of mine. Chris Cornell has an awesome voice. (Which is why I'm also a huge Audioslave fan!)
      I'm emailing you.

      Delete
    2. Me too, when they released the news about Adioslave I was so happy, because Rage against the machine is another favorite of mine. I'm not sure it was as good as either of the original bands, but I love his voice.

      Cool.

      Delete
    3. I love Rage Against the Machine, too. We cover one of their songs occasionally... "Killing in the Name"
      That is, when Brandon's mom isn't at the show. I think you can figure out why :)

      Delete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for sharing all of your bands and the history behind each one.
    Shadows Fall would be my music pick.
    And Starcraft! Best game ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadows Fall!!!!!! I haven't heard that name in a while! I love that band! I heard of them around the time I was introduced to All That Remains and In Flames.
      Starcraft I haven't played... I played Warcraft and liked it. I love everything about those games except the relentless competition! I'm a casual gamer.
      I'm going to listen to Shadows Fall all day.

      Delete
  4. I don't really play any instrument but I think it must be thrilling to belong to a band and share so many things. Those pictures tell me you were having a great time at the moment they were taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blast indeed, but there are aspects I could do without - loading, unloading, driving for hours and hours late at night... That's really about it. :)

      Delete
  5. You were in so many bands. And a Christian band. That is wonderful.

    This one will stump you - when I was a teen, Shooting Star was my favorite band. Ever heard of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stumped me all right! I just looked them up on YouTube. Listening to "Last Chance" right now and I have to say some of the riffs remind me of Ozzy or Black Sabbath (which is kind of nuts!).

      Delete
  6. So many bands! Very cool photos. Shining Force was the first RPG I ever played. It has a special place in my heart for getting me addicted to RPGs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Shining Force on the Sega CD! It disappeared from my mind for a long time until I decided to obtain the soundtrack from every game I'd ever played. Then I found this site - http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php - and found all kinds of games I'd forgotten!

      Delete
  7. Wow. You've been in a lot of bands. I've occasionally found myself fantasizing about rocking it out in front of a crowd, but alas, I never did manage to learn how to play the bass or any other kind of guitar. We both share a common background though; I used to play keyboard/piano during praise and worship too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I wish I could play keys/piano. I try!

      Delete
  8. Good game choices. My brother and I have been playing through Super Mario Bros. Wii, trying to do it without having to respawn! That is awesome that you've been in so many bands.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love SMB on Wii. I still haven't played SMB Galaxy. Brandon (my guitarist) said I could borrow it when he beats it... But he's taking his sweet time!

      Delete
  9. Ahh, Super Metroid. I came so close to finishing that game, but never quite managed it :(

    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a game that I could turn on anytime.. It's a great one

      Delete
  10. I used to listen to Christian rock--very into it back in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s. I used to be a Cornerstone Fest kid, and if not for the fest, I'm not sure I would have met my husband! I actually suggested to a friend to start a Facebook group last year called 90s Christian Music Recovery Group--it was a joke but it gained like 1,000 members in two weeks. It was an insane flurry of nostalgia for awhile. It's kind of died down, but I saw today that Mike Herrera posted there, the singer from MxPx. My 1999 self would have self-imploded.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea MxPx was a Christian group. That's blowing my mind! I guess it only makes sense, considering they were on Tooth & Nail Records, home of all kinds of Christian rock acts.
      I only made it to Cornerstone once and I loved it.

      Delete
  11. A little over a year late but glad I stumbled on this. I saw shatterpath at cornerstone and loved it. Any way I can find that music on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, send me your email address to David at Silexare.com and I'll send you everything I got.
      Quality NOT guaranteed. :)

      Delete
  12. A little over a year late but glad I stumbled on this. I saw shatterpath at cornerstone and loved it. Any way I can find that music on the internet?

    ReplyDelete