Friday, April 19, 2013

April 19 - Q

It's rainy today and Q is a dull letter indeed.


Game

Quest for Glory (Sierra)- I'm showing my age here, but the act of installing and playing Quest for Glory I Remake (1991) on the PC is what started my interest in computers, back before home internet of even user interfaces... Before computers mattered.  These were awesome games.  Their graphics blew away the NES,  but my computer lagged like crazy and since I had no sound card, it was all bleeps and bloops.
I've turned this game on again since then to find that, unlike Mario and Mega Man, it hasn't aged well.  I'd say its modern equivalent is along the lines of Skyrm.  But at the time, it was revolutionary; building a hero, one stat at a time and seeing him come to life.
Quest for Glory games were greatly instrumental in my love for fantasy.

Special Mentions: Q-bert



Music
 
Queen - Their music is just fun. Every rock fan (or Wayne's World fan) knows this one.  Their genre of music has never been my favorite but there's no denying Queen's rock abilities.  Many great songs came from them.

Special Mentions: Queens of the Stone Age


Let's meet again on a better day than Q, shall we?



8 comments:

  1. Your first computer sounds like mine - it severely lacked. Some games moved like slugs because I just didn't have enough gigs or memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was an Intel 486 running Windows 3.1 with 2MB RAM on a 250MB Hard Drive. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Dude. If you think about the modern cell phone, dual-core 1.5 GHz and 16+ GB storage, those stats are just crazy. And in five years, our baddest cell phones are going to be laughable!

      I remember when Intel increased their proc size by 100 MHz increments... 286, 386, 486... And then came the almighty Pentium...

      Delete
  2. Queen was (and Chicago) were my favorite group in the 70s. I still think Brian May is the best guitarist ever. I like "Q" more than you do. Remember that great character named "Q" on Star Trek:TNG? "Q" is especially nice when not used with "U."
    Fun post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought about "Q" from Star Trek when I was ranting about Q!

      Delete
  3. I recently played Bohemian Rhapsody for my kids and of course sang along with it. My kids laughed at me the whole time. They didn't believe me when I told them it was the same group that sang We Will Rock You. That's the only song they know by them. Maybe I should play Fat Bottomed Girls for them, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha nice. You totally should! After all, they make the rocking world go round

      Delete