Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WRiTE Club 2012 shout out!

This post is to again highlight WRiTE Club 2012!

Details are here!  (Including how to sign up and vote)

The latest entry is here!  (Posted Mon, Wed, and Fri) This link is to DL Hammons' blogspot and all contests aside, his posts are goodhearted, insightful and entertaining.  In other words, you can't go wrong clicking that link.

This contest is coming to the end of the preliminary match ups and will soon move to the playoffs.  The exciting thing about this contest is that

A)  All entries are anonymous!  Therefore entries have to stand on their own two legs, not the previous works of an individual!  This goes a long way to eliminate the possibility of dishonest voting, biased voting, "friend" voting, etc.  And as such, the comments / reviews / critiques are occasionally quite honest!! (I've tried to hold back for the most part)  I list that as a GOOD thing because honesty doesn't come easily when a friend says, "What do you think of my story?"
Even if you ask your worst enemy to be brutal and hurt your feelings, his opinion of YOU will probably be more evident in his response than his opinion of your story!

B) Each bout is judged, not by a panel of mysterious, faceless, busy editors or agents or some high and mighty know-it-all... But by me and you and fellow writers and readers!  This is truly a rare chance for us writers!  I get the feeling that some people who've never entered a contest have entered this one (like myself) and WE owe it to them to tell them honestly how they've done!  In other words, very little effort on your part could make a huge difference in their writing future.

Please take the time to check out these entries and vote!  There are around 8 more prelims before the "tried and true" stories return to take it to another level!

It would take only a few minutes each Mon, Wed, Fri to have a look then comment and say "I vote XX" and be done.  (Unless you have suggestions, critiques or gripes to offer in which case, please do!)

Thanks mucho!

Now, back to editing for me.

12 comments:

  1. You may or may not have noticed that I quit about ten rounds back. I got tired of the lack of honesty, which is exactly the opposite of what you're going about here. But I do want to thank you again for supporting my earlier efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I noticed the lack of Tony... It is less common for a voter to be real than be 'nice'... And with you leaving, the 'being real' count dropped by one.
      People don't seem to realize that, "Oh this was tough, both were written so well..." does wonders for the submitter's immediate gratification but nothing to better their craft. It's like telling a significant other "You look immaculate today!" despite the cowlick, open fly, TP on shoe and sweat stain on collar; These kinds of things are better discovered sooner than later.
      Anyway, I'm going to need you to come back around, though, in the play offs. I'll be there! As a voter definitely. As an entry? We'll see :)

      Delete
  2. Also,
    (And I wanted to write this separately)
    As far as 'friend votes' and "Psst, I'm not supposed to talk about it but go vote for me, my entry is up right now" situations, I realize this will happen. The only way I can personally combat it is to remain honest... To the point that I will not (Or did not) even vote for my own piece when it comes up (or when it came up).
    If someone wins by cheating in this way, time will sort it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to this contest! I really appreciate it.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I don't know if you write but if so, it's not too late to join the contest! Otherwise, enjoy the wordly meanderings of us up-and-coming authors!

      Delete
  4. Write Club is awesome. Kudos go out to you brave souls who put your blurbs out there for the world, and more so to the people who read and vote. I drop by every now and then, and it's a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the editing! I think that's actually my favorite part of the writing process - weird, eh?

    Thank you for your kind comments at my place. As you now know, I'm also a fan of the WRiTE Club. I usually swing by on weekends to read all 6 pieces from the week, which gives me the benefit of also getting to read comments from other voters, and yours are especially insightful and honest - and you've made me laugh more than once, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to entertain!
      Editing has become an acquired taste for me. Totally hated it at first.
      Regarding my comments on write club... I do try to be honest and as constructive as possible. But that doesn't keep me for calling it like I see it. Hopefully folks take my opinion for what it is (only a single opinion!)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Fellow aspiring author from GA :) Looking forward to reading your posts. Do you have a followers tab? It might be my internet browser but I was having trouble finding it. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Should be on the left side, just below "Keep in touch!" It's a Google one like yours.
      Best of luck to you as well.

      Delete