Tuesday, August 7, 2012

so i'm a little sleep deprived.


When I began writing my book I just knew it would be awesome.

I knew it would launch from my hands immediately upon dotting the last 'i' and revolutionize the fantasy genre and go on to produce an endless stream of movies, video games, tv shows, action figures, t-shirts, pez dispensers, and so on until infinity.

And so I wrote my book.

Then I began to familiarize myself with the world of publishing, authors, aspiring authors, editors, agents, and failures and suddenly I realized the unthinkable...
I'm not the first person to dream.
People dream every day... and probably write far more enthralling stories than mine.  And they aren't hopping on Aladdin's flying carpet and sailing away to Hollywood.  They are working on their 5th book... and still unpublished.

I took my book of the pedestal and looked at it again... Not as a creator holding his fragile child but as a stranger, holding a book that would actually cost me money to read.
I realized I needed to work... and not just on the book.

At then end of this month comes Dragon*Con.  There will be 20+ successful authors and real live editors and agents.  I plan to attend said Con and meet as many of these authors, editors, agents, and publishers as I can.
By then I plan to have developed several pitches for my book (the drive-by pitch, the elevator pitch, the <250 word pitch, etc.)
I also plan to have a semi-completed website with excerpts, contact info, news and witty banter.
I'd like to have something flashy to hand out to anyone interested (a business card type object) with the website's address.
I'd also like my revisions to be nearly finished so that shortly after the conference I can send a query letter saying, "Hey, we met at Dragon*Con and spoke about my book..."

Meanwhile, I'm outlining my second book.

If I have a point at all, I guess it's this:
I'm still dreaming.  I've just learned that dreams aren't enough.  Work is involved.  I accept that I probably won't go on to become George Lucas Jr. or J.R.R. Tolkien the Second and I'm ok with that.
I love creating and always have.

Therefore I will continue onward despite.


12 comments:

  1. You're doing things right, then. Carry on, soldier!

    Book marks are fun handy-out objects, and easy to make/have printed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookmarks it is, Blue. Good call. Far more useful than business cards.

      Delete
  2. Hey, not sure if Bray has mentioned it but you could definitely talk to my dad. I am sure he could give you lots of advice on the book process and maybe even connect you with some helpful contacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily! Someone I know in real life has a blog!! I will talk to her about talking to him, thanks. Good to have you back in 'merica!

      Delete
  3. The reality check! I remember that.
    Good luck at Dragon Con. Heard it's just an awesome conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, David. Reproducing my response to you on DL Hammons' Write Club post, here:

    'Sorry to have caused confusion. It seems a contestant in the first round scored points with a lot of readers for having included a twist at the end and for having accomplished a 'full circle' sort of impact within 500 words. I read in a later post that entries shouldn't be judged based on that.

    For me, that particular contestant exhibited some writerly prowess and, in just one reader's opinion, is the best entry I've read, so far. I imagine it's fairly challenging to organize a contest of this scale and keep everything running smoothly. Don't mean to rock the boat. I can see where my articulation in the comment was misleading.'

    And I'll add here between you and me -- it kinda ruffled my feathers (putting it mildly) to be told what criterion on which to base votes and, despite the fact that I actually disliked that contestant's content since it was quite gruesome, I felt a bit indignant on their behalf.

    Don't mind me. I'm pretty sure I overthought that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze, No problem. Thanks for clearing that up. This is what I thought you were referring to.
      I absolutely agree with you on that contestant being the best entry so far. Like his, my entry is stand-alone, not piece of a bigger work. And I whittled mine down from 600 words, making it as strong as possible.
      I'm not sure if I liked his so much because of the style and efficiency or the effective story arc... Since then I've voted on what had to have been smaller pieces of a larger work... But I wouldn't have if they stood beside his. His writing has just been the most confident so far.
      Again, thanks for clarifying.

      Delete
  5. Hi, David, You're not just dreaming your doing and that is the key. Good luck!

    Nice to meet you.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought your initial spelling of 'your' followed the 'sleep deprivation' theme well. :)
      Nice to meet you too.

      Delete
  7. I think it is great that you are creating and writing and generally following your dream. While a reality check is always a good thing to have from time to time it is the trying part that is the most important thing, well to me anyway. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete